Sunday 21 October 2012

Bumblee Baskets

Back in September, I was asked by the lovely people from Out of Yorkshire to produce a specifically designed fabric basket for their online shop. They found me through Twitter during #YorkshireHour (I swear by #YorkshireHour! You can read my guest blog for the #YorkshireHour blog here) and loved the woodland based designs on my latest British wildlife range. They’re logo is also a red squirrel and their cafes in Leeds city centre feature lots of woodland based goodies too.

They sell hamper sets on their online shop (check them out!) and so wanted a bee related basket. Keeping in tune with my previous baskets which are all of endangered British species, I designed a bee pattern for this basket featuring the shrill-carder bee which is a threatened species also.

So here it is!

You can only buy the full hamper complete with honey and wax related products through the Out of Yorkshire website. You will soon be able to buy this basket by its self through my Alexia Claire Etsy shop, which will also feature a link to give you the option to buy the full hamper set.

The design stages:
The beginning: I drew the bee design by hand before scanning it into my Mac.

The workshop: I exposed the bee designs and its shadow onto silk screen

The print room: I screen-printed the bees’ shadow in white first

I printed the bees’ outlines second

I began sewing the pieces together

... ta daa! Lots of Bee baskets.

No comments: